Resolve The National Debt Crisis!
Top Specifics Of The Simulation
The Status Quo–actual present trajectory of Federal Public Policy–could be taking us toward financial collapse in 20 years or less. Even so, this assumes that the country undergoes no major trauma in the meantime. The crux of the problem is the relentlessly rising national (federal) debt. Your assignment is to alter this fatal trajectory and you have two central choices. Either maintain the present debt load (debt as share of GDP) or cut this load by about half. Toward the end of making the one choice or the other, you must secure a Bill that legislates some positive combination of revenue increases and expenditures reductions. Furthermore, you must anticipate and legislate the sinews of a conducive foreign policy, especially defense expenditures and allocation of armed forces. If your Bill is to succeed, it must be promoted with persuasive arguments.
You will be briefed and treated as Members of Congress (in the Senate). The whole vast realm of public policy will be your responsibility. This is a vital public service! It is imperative that as many as possible understand the true gravity of the national situation and that the governed make their voices heard while time remains!
The Briefing Book
This simulation is highly accurate and deploys the actual numbers and policies that are before Congress right now. There is a Briefing Book (and related Briefings). This information makes the aforementioned numbers manageable and the simulation practical. This information will be provided, some via password, when registration is complete and payment made.
There are several Confidentiality Clauses. See below. One of the clauses governs the Briefing Book and related password. Those who receive the password(s) and access to the Briefing Book may circulate neither the Book nor the password or passwords.
SDI High School Congress, 9 am – 5 pm, Saturday, April 28, 2018
Two Live Webinars, 7 – 8 pm, Tuesday, April 17 and 7 – 8 pm, Thursday, April 19
Bills due By 5 pm, Tuesday, April 24.
Registration Form on right.
$59 per student. Cost covers everything, briefings, tuition, insurance and lunch.
$59 per faculty advisor. Cost covers everything, as above.
Payment button found on right below.
How To Participate
Although not difficult to participate in, Statesman Debate conducts a model congress unlike any other.
Here is the summary of the steps (see below for details):–
- Register and make payment.
- Assuming your information is accurate and application is in order, receive a seat assignment and corresponding state.
- Peruse the password-protected briefing book.
- Participate in one or more optional Webinars. The Briefing Book Webinar, which spans 45 minutes, discusses the Briefing Book and how to make good use of it. The Question Period Webinar, which also spans 45 minutes, should be used the way that a Member of Congress would turn to his own staff. Thus you may discuss anything that is relevant, such as, the mechanics of the Conference Exercise, how to analyze evidence, relevant public policy, the history that lead to this government crisis and the crafting of your bill or speech or both. Be patient in the first 5 minutes of a webinar, technical issues could arise!
- Write a Bill (not complicated) and accompany that with the script (about 500 words) of a Speech you will deliver in support of the Bill. Email Bill to the Office Of The President Pro Tempore (SDI Staff).
- Study the Bills of your fellow Members of Congress. Make note of your initial Caucus assignment. You are welcome to relocate to a different Caucus after your Committee has met the first time.
- Submit written questions to the Office Of The President Pro Tempore.
- Engage in debate, discussion and cast your votes in Congress!
- SDI offers an inexpensive, tremendously helpful Speech Webinar in speech-crafting and delivery. It is intended for those unfamiliar with oratory and because it is grounded in Classical Rhetoric, it would help even the seasoned speaker. Rhetoric is replete with labor-saving devices!
Terms And Conditions Dated February 8, 2018
Register – Individuals or groups may register. Fill out our online form, submit your payment and make a hotel reservation if need be. It is important that you call the hotel yourself. We have secured a good hotel rate, at a designated hotel, but you yourself must book it. The aforementioned online form will ask you if you prefer to represent one district or other but, sentiment aside, district assignments have no bearing on the outcome. For instance, you may be from Alaska and wish to have the honor of representing your home state.
Fact Checking – SDI does everything it can to ensure a safe, instructive and enjoyable conference. First of all, our own staff are screened and undergo a security check. Also, we endeavor to verify the identity of conference participants, both students and their club faculty if any. The information that you supplied in filling out the application helps us to verify identities. Although SDI does not assume liability for a false application (someone who misrepresents themselves as a student participant or as a model congress faculty member), we do screen conference applicants and there is on-site supervision. In the odd event that SDI suspects that there has been a misrepresentation, SDI will notify the applicant and may request additional information. If SDI still suspects misrepresentation, it reserves to itself the right to bar the applicant in question from conference participation and it reserves to itself the right to keep all registration fees. To put on a conference is time consuming and the aforementioned deterrent is in the interest of all legitimate conference participants.
No Substances Of Any Kind – SDI has a zero tolerance policy where substances, drug or alchohol or both, are concerned. Substance use during the conference is grounds for immediate dismissal and the application fee is forfeit.
Hotel Accommodations Are Unsupervised – If you are attending a conference, and if you require an overnight stay or stays, please know that SDI provides no hotel supervision and is not responsible for anything that may happen at the designated hotel or anywhere else.
Shuttle Service – A shuttle service, running once to and fro the designated hotel, might be provided, if applicable. SDI assumes no liability for the transport of conference participants.
Seat Assignment — Once you’re a confirmed participant you will be assigned a seat and district.
Briefings – There is a very specific and momentous task before you! May you resolve the terrible challenge of the national debt. Toward that end, you will be briefed as a Member of Congress is actually briefed—or as they ought to be briefed! The SDI staff, a faculty unlike any other(!), conduct the briefings. The briefing proceed as follows: (1) after your identity has been verified, you are supplied with a password-protected Briefing Book, including suggested readings; (2) two password-protected webinars—one discusses the Briefing Book, the other is dedicated to any and all relevant questions–should be accessed after you have seen the Briefing Book; (3) consummate on-site briefings (see Conference Agenda) take you still further. The sum of briefings amounts to about 3 hours, including time allocated to the Briefing Book. The briefings become more and more sophisticated and more and more interactive, as the experience unfolds.
Bills – The aforementioned Briefing Book includes a template that will help you write up your Bill. See Briefing Book.
Proprietery Rights And Limitation Of Rights – Instruction staff have the right to use electronic recording (audio or video) devices and to record the camp or event. All rights to such a recording that involve formal lecture (i.e., a SDI instructor or instructors addressing the students or taking and responding to questions) are exclusive to SDI. The portion of such a recording that features students in other settings, including debate, may only be used by SDI for promotional material, eg, on its website. SDI reserves the right to use any and all camp recordings for its own internal purposes, that is, coaching of its staff or private briefings of supporters or potential donors.
No other electronic recording of the camp or event can be made without the prior written approval of the SDI.
SDI may take photos and videos of debaters during session or on tour and has exclusive rights to these photos and videos for training and promotional purposes.
Testimonials from students and parents (or legal guardians) are welcomed. SDI has the right to publish such testimonials and to use first name and initial of last name as attribution.
EMERGENCY NUMBERS – Emergency numbers are exchanged. We request emergency contact information. We supply a way for you to reach us, too, in the event of an unforeseen mishap. And our emergency number is supplied several days before camp, thus eliminating the risk of an out of date number.
Waivers – SDI is not responsible for damages that may befall a camp or event participant (student) or camp observer (his or her parent) because of the negligence of that student or parent or both, or because of the negligence of another student or another student’s parent or both, or because of the negligence of a third party. We, SDI, also assume no responsibility for any preexisting medical condition or for any medical situation that might arise during the camp.
Very deliberate safety procedures are in place. SDI instructors are not permitted to coach unless they have undergone appropriate background checks; we ourselves have an internal review and safety training. Our staff are all adults, 18 years and up. Student attendance is frequently taken. Students remain in a group, under adult supervision, and are not permitted to wander. Alcoholic beverages and non-prescription drugs are prohibited during coaching. Anyone found in possession of prohibited items will be dismissed immediately and all tuition will be forfeited. There is no toleration of inappropriate behavior or what looks to be inappropriate behavior. The technology that we use (GoToMeeting and GoToTraining) gives us, the SDI staff, exclusive control of the video and audio. In the event that an instructor deems a student’s conduct or attire to be inappropriate, the student will be removed from participation at once. There is no pro-rated refund of that portion of the coaching that is subsequently missed. SDI reserves to itself the right to remove the student in question from future coaching, as well, and in the event of total removal, tuition and all camp or event payment will be forfeited to SDI.
Our Senior Instructor is without equal in the forensics community. And he interacts frequently with all the students that we coach. There are situations wherein he is the sole instructor. In other situations, he oversees several instructors and coaches too. One way or other, students receive a great deal of his time. Furthermore, he trains his assistants in advance of coaching.
Online Coaching takes place via GoToMeeting or GoToTraining split screen. (Links to sessions will be emailed to you; you do not need your own online account.) The instructor manages visibility. It is possible that debaters will scrimmage online or compete in tournaments online or both. One again, GoToMeeting is utilized.
Additional coaching and research support is provided via Google Documents.
A modicum of dress up is encouraged during session. Dress shirt and tie for men, and dress-up blouse or dress for women, is encouraged.
CONTINGENCIES, INCLUDING REFUNDS, WAIT LIST
Statesman Debate Institute (SDI) intends to do everything it can to ensure safe, instructive and enjoyable coaching.
In the event that SDI has to cancel a coaching session or sessions–because of unforeseen circumstances or force majeure affecting the instruction staff or hosting or insufficient number of registered students—registration monies will be promptly returned.
A great deal of planning goes into our coaching. Regrettably, registration monies are non-refundable in all circumstances other than those already mentioned, unless an alternate is willing to take your place in a timely fashion as judged by SDI.
What does a “prompt” or “immediate” refund mean? A refund will be provided within 14 days of a cancellation by SDI.
All payments are nonrefundable, unless a written request is submitted to SDI and SDI grants the request.
Third parties, including www.aplusplans.com or www.insuremytrip.com, may enable you to insure all or part of your debate participation. Costs are affordable. If you want such insurance, make sure you acquire it before making camp payment.
ONLY PAYMENT IN ADVANCE SECURES A SPOT OR A BRIEF
This should be self-explanatory.
- All instruction and instruction material, and all Briefs, whether presented in a formal coaching session or in any other format by SDI, is the intellectual property of SDI, except if amended in accordance with the contract below.
- A student who receives SDI coaching or Briefs or both agrees to abide by a 48-month Confidentiality Clause, starting from January 1, 2018 and ending January 1, 2022.
- Except as amended in Item #4 or #5, a student who receives SDI coaching of any kind may not formally teach anything he observes via this coaching, whether as an independent contractor or employee of another organization or volunteer of another organization. This prohibition clause includes any and all techniques, information and knowledge that is taught in SDI coaching or Briefs. This ban on formal teaching and sharing extends through January 1, 2022.
- There are the following exceptions to the confidentiality clause (Item #3). He or she may make reasonable, incidental use of SDI information and technique in the course of interacting with other participants of the SDI Congress or in another setting. Regardless of setting, any use of specific SDI language requires attribution.
- He or she may formally teach or share or both if (1) SDI certifies him or her to work in a future SDI program, (2) SDI grants him or her express written permission to teach or share in another (non-SDI) setting, including other partnering (including a partner or partners on a school forensics team), tutoring, schools, governments or businesses.
- If SDI grants written permission to a student to teach or share or both in a formal fashion in a non-SDI setting what he observed via SDI coaching or Briefs, then SDI also has the option and right to require this student to pay an observation fee of $4000 or more. Furthermore, this student would only have the right to teach or share or both in a non-SDI setting after 48 hours had passed since SDI had received the confidentiality fee.
- The Congress Conference Briefing Book and password(s) to access the Briefing Book may not be circulated.
- SDI sells its Briefs to Schools, Groups and Individuals. Its Briefs are copyrighted and may not be circulated beyond the contracting School, Group or Individual without the express written permission of SDI. (Sometimes a solo homeschool family will purchase a Brief. SDI may advise them to find and may even help them find one or more other homeschool families that would be willing to enter into a “Group” for the purpose of using the same Brief.)